Hey there, friends! It’s the end of the year, so that means it’s a good time to reflect on the last year, both good and bad, and look forward to the year ahead. Today I’m going to share some of my personal and writing-focused experiences and goals for 2017 and 2018.
First, a look back on 2017. 2017 was a rough year, but it also had a lot of good in it. Here are the things I’m more than happy to say goodbye to:
- I lost two of my grandparents.
- I lost my cat, who I had for not long enough, due to genetic kidney disease.
- There was way more than normal stress with different people in my life for different reasons.
And the good of 2017:
- I got engaged!
- I moved past my depression enough to say goodbye to medication (at least for now and hopefully forever).
- My brother got married right before Christmas.
And the 2017 writing goals:
- Regain my writing schedule. Status: IN PROGRESS. I don’t have a regular schedule, but I did get back enough to complete a draft of a novel and start a new one. I also participated in Camp NaNoWriMo in July (and completed it) and NaNoWriMo in November (I did not finish, but did surpass 30k words on a new fantasy novel).
- Publish or get an agent for This Cursed Flame. Status: ALTERED. I made a lot of changes to the book over the summer, and, after a number of things not working out and re-evaluating my own goals for the book, I decided to publish it on Wattpad. You can read it here as I release chapters.
- Finish Foxfire. Status: COMPLETE! I did manage to finish the draft of Foxfire, the first of hopefully many in an adult contemporary/urban fantasy series. I’m currently going through edits and revisions.
So what’s coming up in 2018? My wedding, in just under four months! I’m very excited to move on to this part of my life, and I’ve been very blessed to find a great guy who loves me, supports me, and pushes me to reach all my dreams and goals.
And now, what you’ve all been waiting for. My 2018 writing goals:
- Write a little every day, no matter how much.
- Complete Foxfire and get it to the query stage!
- Complete my high fantasy in progress and begin edits.
- Pick up an old story I had started, a YA fantasy thriller I’m currently calling Canary in the Coal Mine. (Yes, I mentioned this one before… so excited to get this one back out of the pile of dead ideas!)
- And, finally, complete posting This Cursed Flame.
So what about you? What are your writing goals for this year? Share in the comments, and feel free to give some advice or ideas for how you plan to accomplish those goals!
Have a great new year, guys, and I hope it’s filled with success, love, and every good thing.